2008年9月17日星期三

Daniel Day-Lewis

Gangs of New York

Interviewed by Alec Cawthorne


Londoner Daniel Day-Lewis' film debut was "Sunday Bloody Sunday" back in 1971. He then turned his attentions to the stage for a decade before returning to the big screen with "Gandhi" in 1982. Since then he appeared in "My Left Foot", "The Last of the Mohicans", "The Age of Innocence", and "In the Name of the Father". His latest film "Gangs of New York" is his second for director Martin Scorsese.

Why did you take so much time off between films?

There came a time five years ago when I just felt I wanted to do other things. Periodically over the years I've always taken periods of time away from acting.

Did you need persuading to take this role?

Martin [Scorsese] doesn't have to convince me about anything. I can only say that I would wish for any one of my colleagues to have the experience of working with Marty once in their lifetime. If you get it twice, it's a privilege that you don't necessarily look for but you certainly don't try to avoid.

What is it about working with Scorsese?

As an actor, I think it is very hard to define why he works so well with actors. He has a very clear vision of what it is that he is trying to do. Nevertheless, he creates a great sense of freedom within the framework that he's laid down.

Is it true you stayed in character on set even when cameras weren't rolling?

I just found a way that suits me some years ago, as every actor does. It seems a little bizarre to some people.

And working with Leonardo DiCaprio - how was that?

I spent a little bit of time with Leo before shooting began. Leo and I didn't get to know each other very well during the film because I think we both understood that you need a certain distance to allow things to happen when the work is important.

One thing that's truly fascinating about your character is the hair.. it's terrible!

It was work to make it so gross! On the last day I said to Marty "Can I get a haircut?" You could fry an egg on that hair!

没有评论: